1/2 Photos of Spicy Pan Fried Fish Bombay
This recipe was adapted from the Pike Place Market Seafood Cookbook. It's a simple, yet extremely flavorful way to present your favorite fish. We use tilapia and grouper with good success, but catfish works too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 2 tablespoons white wine or 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 fillets of thin firm fleshed fish, such as catfish,tilapia,mahimahi,grouper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs, panko for example
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1In a glass or ceramic baking dish, lay fish fillets next to each other in one layer.
- 2Stir together the yogurt, tomato paste, wine, garlic, gingerroot, coriander, cinnamon, cumin, curry powder, tumeric, and red pepper flakes.
- 3Pour the marinade over the fish, covering the tops and bottoms thoroughly.
- 4Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, turning fish occasionally On a flat plate, mix together almonds, crumbs, paprika, and salt.
- 5Remove fish from marinade, retaining as much marinade on each fillet as possible.
- 6Pat crumbs on both sides of each catfish fillet.
- 7Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 8When oil is very hot, add fish fillets without crowding.
- 9Cook fish 5-7 minutes, turn carefully, and cook another 5 minutes or until fish is done, just flaking.
- 10Cooking time will vary depending on the type of fish used, and the thickness of the fillet.
- 11Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Spicy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Pan Fried Fish Bombay
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.7
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 243.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: