Recipe by KelBel
A simple tomato sauce. I use any kind of tomatoes I have on hand from tiny grape tomatoes to garden fresh ugly tomatoes. Serve over your favorite pasta with parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions
- 4 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add tomato, onion, bacon and garlic to roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, stir to coat, and spread evenly in pan. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove pan from oven and add vinegar and Italian seasoning. Stir well and return pan to oven for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Transfered cool vegetable to blender, food processor, or Sauce pan if using hand blender. Puree until smooth. If using blender or food processor, transfer to saucepan once blended and smooth.
- Over medium heat, add tomato paste, salt and two peppers to the pureed vegetables. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta with salad and bread.