Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
One of two oven fried chicken recipes I am adding to the 150 that are already here on Recipezaar. Even though I love southern pan fried chicken, this is so easy and can stand on it's own merits.
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb (cracker meal)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 4 lbs chicken pieces (about 14 pieces)
- Combine oil and butter in a 11x14 inch baking pan with sides, and place in a 375°F oven to melt butter. Then set aside on counter.
- Rinse chicken and drain on a cutting board, but do not pat dry.
- In a large paper sack, combine flour, cracker crumbs, cornmeal and spices and seasonings.
- Roll chicken pieces 3 at a time in melted butter/oil in pan, then drop in the paper sack and shake to coat pieces. Place on a plate and continue with the rest of the chicken.
- Place coated chicken in 11x14-inch pan, skin side down.
- Bake in the 375°F oven for 45 minutes, then turn pieces over and bake another 5-10 minutes more, or until top crust begins to sizzle. Crust is better if chicken is not refrigerated before eating.
- Use pan drippings to make gravy if you like.