Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I am not a fan of fried foods. After trying a few different oven baked recipes, I came up with this one. Feel free to cut out the jalapeno or lessen the cayenne if you don't like spicy rings.
- 2 onions (sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch rings)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- Spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- Combine bread crumbs, jalapeno, cayenne, curry, and garlic in a shallow baking dish.
- Beat eggs in a bowl.
- Put flour into a bowl.
- Dredge onions (a few at a time) in flour.
- Coat them in egg (one at a time).
- Cover completely with bread crumb mixture.
- Place in a single layer on cookie sheet.
- Spray rings with more non stick spray.
- Cook 30- 45 minutes, depending on thickness.
These were good; very crispy for not being fried. I left out the jalapenos because we don't like the heat. Next time I will use garlic salt rather than powder they needed some salt. Made for Spring 2009 PAC.