Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A friend's recipe I adore due it's wonderful taste and simplicity. It's quickly made and no fuss comfort food. Serve as part of meze, warm or cold, with rice or fresh, crusty bread, as sandwich filling, with roasted, mediterranean vegetables such as aubergines, courgettes, ... The butter makes it rich and creamy, veganize substituting high quality olive oil.
- 450 g chickpeas (canned)
- 1 onion (large, chopped finely)
- 3 garlic cloves (or more to taste, minced)
- 25 g butter (or ghee, or oil)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Chop onion finely, as well as garlic cloves.
- When butter has melted add onions and let simmer over medium heat until soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic and continue frying. (Stir often).
- Meanwhiles drain Chickpeas.
- Add ground cumin to butter/onion/garlic mixture and let fry until fragrant.
- Add vegetable bouillon powder and stir to incorporate.
- Now transfer chickpeas to the mixture and heat them through.
- Serve warm or cold.