Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
from "a communal table" - http://www.acommunaltable.com/2010/06/south-by-east-spicy-orange-soy-scallops.html
- 2 lbs scallops
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb snow peas
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 6 ounces soba noodles
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine. Add scallops and set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add the noodles. When the water begins to foam up, add 1 cup cold water and turn off the heat. Let noodles sit until they are cooked through - about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Remove the scallops from the marinade and pat dry. In a large non stick saute pan heat the vegetable oil until hot but not smoking. Reduce the heat to medium high and add the scallops and cook until the scallops are golden brown - about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn scallops over and cook until the other side is golden brown and scallops are opaque in the center. Remove scallops from the pan and set aside.
- Over medium high heat, add the snow peas and saute until the snow peas are tender - about 2 - 3 minutes. Add the reserved sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the reserved soba noodles, tossing to coat the noodles with the sauce.
- Divide noodles and snow peas among 4 shallow bowls or plates. Top with the scallops and garnish with the sliced scallions.
This is excellent! So many lovely flavours mingling on one plate, this is definitely going on my favourites list! I ended up adding more chili paste to suit my husband's addiction to heat, but either way is great. Thanks for posting!
ABSOLUTELY awesome recipe! The toughest part was finding Soba noodles in the supermarket! But we finally found one. We also have an Asian market a little further away that we could have visited. My first time cooking scallops and Soba noodles! Where has this recipe been all my life? :o) I will definitely make it again!