Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is Szechuan type of stir fry. You can vary the spiciness by the amount of chili sauce you add. It is a very colourful dish which is nice with rice to soak up the delicious sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice (from the orange, but add more if you don't get 3/4 c.)
- 3 teaspoons Thai sweet chili sauce (or bottled chili paste)
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine (you can substitute white wine, but add more sugar)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- vegetable oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Halve the peppers, remove the ribs and seeds, and cut into strips.
- Using vegetable peeler, remove the rind (orange part only) from the orange.
- Cut the rind into very thin julienne strips about 3 inches long.
- Squeeze the orange.
- Add more frozen juice if necessary to make 3/4 cup.
- In a bowl, combine orange juice, chili sauce, sherry, sugar, and cornstarch.Stir until smooth
- In wok, heat oil over high heat and stir-fry chicken until browned and cooked through.
- Remove chicken.
- Add orange rind, garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add peppers and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chili sauce mixture and return the chicken to the wok.
- Cook until the sauce is thickened.
I would give this more than 5 stars - It was wonderful. I cut the chicken back to 12 oz but made the full sauce. I used 2 1/2 tbsp of sweet chili sauce and cut out the extra sugar.. It is such an easy recipe to propare because you can get everything ready ahead of time and then it only takes a few minutes to cook. Thangs Paja this is a keeper.
I have made several spicy orange ginger recipes over the years. This recipe is one of the BEST!! There is no batter, no sticky sauce, just lean meat with lots of flavour. It is a new family favorite!!!We added a little extra chili peppers. THANKS-GREAT !