Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was originally posted on MSN Lifestyle, but I've made a couple of additions to the original recipe to make it a bit tangier.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into bite-size strips (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup hot salsa
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or a large skillet, cook half of chicken in hot oil about 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Repeat with remaining half of chicken. Remove chicken from pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In pan, sauté onion, sweet pepper, and garlic until tender. Return chicken to pan. Add orange peel, orange juice, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, chili pepper, and salsa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Add beans to chicken mixture; heat through. Transfer to a serving dish.
Huge yum from my husband and myself!!! I served it with chicken fried rice and it turned out soooo good!!
Made for My 3 Chefs June 2008. This was fantastic - my DH said, "this is really good!" I served this over rice for a really great meal. The chicken was falling off the bones and very moist. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting this!