Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
a beef stew with an asian flair.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 6 dried red chilies
- 4 slices long orange rind
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked rice
- heat oil in a dutch oven.
- add chiles, garlic and orange rind, saute 5 minutes.
- add carrots and beef, saute 1 minute.
- add water, broth, honey and liqueur.
- bring to a boil, cover, lower heat to simmer.
- cook 1 hr& 15 minutes until beef is tender.
- combine water and cornstarch, stir into beef, bring to a boil and cook until sauce thickens, 1 minute.
- serve over rice.
The meat was extremely tender. I have to say I've never cooked with dried chili peppers before, so I was scared and only used 3, but I will use the whole amount next time. Thanks Chia!!
Oh Chia, this was wonderful. I scaled it to three servings, and cooked gravy beef for two hours. I did everything as you said, except I added a little more garlic. The honey complemented the sweetness of the carrots. The spicyness was subtle. I forgot to add the soy sauce, but I think it would be better without. It certainly didn't need any seasoning. Oh and next time, I will slice the meat thinner.
Nice, subtle orange flavor, with a kick at the end! I thought this was very good, although the rest of my family did not care for it. Very easy to prepare. I did allow it to simmer for 2-3 hrs. and the meat was very tender. A nice change from our normal menu!