Recipe by cookiedog
These would be great for a picnic. From Country Living Magazine.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
I tinkered with this to make it work in my low fat diet but I think the changes left the wonderful flavors of the original recipe in tact. To begin I used skinless chicken breasts and did not dot them with butter; instead I covered the pan with foil to help seal in the juices. Made the sauce and cooked it as directed including the quick boil at the end. Swapped out the pita and used a low point wrap instead and stuffed it with napa cabbage, oranges and water chestnuts. The sauce was divine and the marmalade offered just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the heat. Served it with summer squash and red peppers and ended up dipping the veggies in the extra sauce. I think red pepper strips would make a great addition to the sandwich. Thanks for an easy and delicious meal.
- 680.38 g boneless chicken breasts (with skin)
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml butter, cut into small pieces
- 118.29 ml orange marmalade
- 36.97 ml sesame oil
- 36.97 ml soy sauce
- 3.69 ml hot sauce
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 7.39 ml sesame seeds
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 3 large pocket-style pita bread, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Season the chicken on all sides with the salt and pepper and place in a baking dish.
- Dot the top of the skin with the butter and place in the oven on the center rack. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Mix the marmalade, sesame oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl and use it to baste the chicken frequently until the meat reaches 167F-about 20 more minutes.
- Adjust oven to broil, sprinkle the sesame seeds over the chicken and broil until seeds are toasted and skin is crispy- about 1 minute.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes. Bring the basting sauce to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Cut the skin and pith from the oranges and slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Remove any seeds.
- Slice the chicken and place equal amounts of it, the oranges, and lettuce leaves inside the pitas. Drizzle each sandwich with the boiled sauce.