Recipe by Darkhunter
Nothing compliments bratwurst better than these spicy onions. Any leftover onions can be used for other sandwiches.
Top Review by itsnevrenough
Yum! These onions were so good on brats! I actually prefer them over sauerkraut. I didn't have any celery seed, but I think I'm going to get some before I make this next time. According to previous reviewers, it's a must have! Will definitely make again.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced and separated
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or more if you really like garlic)
- 14.79 ml hot pepper sauce
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 6 fresh bratwursts
- 6 hoagie rolls, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil in large frying pan and heat.
- Add all ingredients except brats and rolls.
- Saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onions are soft and carmelized.
- While onions are sauteing, bring water to boil and add bratwurst.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until bratwurst is firm and cooked.
- Can be eaten as is or broil or grill brats until browned.
- Pile on onions.