Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nothing compliments bratwurst better than these spicy onions. Any leftover onions can be used for other sandwiches.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced and separated
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or more if you really like garlic)
- 14.79 ml hot pepper sauce
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 6 fresh bratwursts
- 6 hoagie rolls, split
- Place oil in large frying pan and heat.
- Add all ingredients except brats and rolls.
- Saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onions are soft and carmelized.
- While onions are sauteing, bring water to boil and add bratwurst.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until bratwurst is firm and cooked.
- Can be eaten as is or broil or grill brats until browned.
- Pile on onions.
Yum! These onions were so good on brats! I actually prefer them over sauerkraut. I didn't have any celery seed, but I think I'm going to get some before I make this next time. According to previous reviewers, it's a must have! Will definitely make again.
The onions totally make this recipe!
Very tasty. I halved the recipe (only had 3 brats)But did not use the specified amount of hot pepper sauce or chili powder (some times I'm a wimp!)Just did several good shakes of each. And it was gooood. DarkHunter, thanks for posting . . . Janet