Recipe by strawberrybird
These quick and spicy onion rings are yummy as a side dish or on top of a juicy burger. I adapted the recipe from a cookbook I bought in Victoria, BC.
- 2 medium onions
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice onions and separate into rings. Place in bowl.
- Pour milk over onion rings to cover (more milk may be needed depending upon size and shape of bowl).
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and paprika.
- Pour 1/4" of oil into a large skillet and place on medium heat. When water sprinkled into pan causes oil to bubble, continue with the recipe.(Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to make onions in 4 or 5 batches.).
- Remove an onion ring from the milk and dip into the flour mixture until coated. Place in the skillet. Repeat until skillet is full. Cook 1 minute or until golden. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Continue the previous step until all onion rings are done.