Recipe by Barb G.
If you like okra, try this. My mother use to make okra like but without the chile's. This Recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine.
Top Review by 1baytown
I used 3 jalapeno peppers and used Rotel instead of diced tomatoes. Also added a small can of the Rotel sauce for extra sauce and also used lemon pepper instead of regular pepper. It was delicious!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut okra
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh habanero pepper, pierced 3 times with a fork (if habanero is to hot use serrano or jalapeno chile instead)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse okra in a colander under hot water.
- (Rinsing okra gives it a cleaner taste and texture.) Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (including juice) and chile and boil, stirring until tomatoes are softened and liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add okra and cook, gently stirring, until okra is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper and discard chile.