Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicately flavored with herbs and spices, the uniqueness of these cookies intrigues all. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup dry sweetener
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup sour soymilk (soy milk + 1 tsp vinegar)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate or 1⁄2 cup carob chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degreed F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oat flakes, flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cumin, cardamom, pepper, and cayenne.
- Add the mashed banana, sweetener, oil, sour milk, raisins, and chocolate chips to the oat mixture and mix together gently until just mixed.
- Scoop spoon-sized portions onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Delicious unusual spice blend! I baked mines for 10 minutes and they were not as chewy as I would have liked, so next time I'll take them out after 8 minutes. I got 12 BIG cookies with this recipe. I think tablespoon-sized portions of dough should yield around 25 cookies. I skipped the chocolate chips but doubled the sweetener (major sugar craving...) and liked them a lot this way. Good healthy cookie. Thanks for posting!
The flavor of these cookies is wonderful. But I did leave out the pepper, cayene, vinegar and chocolate chips. I used a mixture of sugar and splenda sweetner and used margarine instead of oil. My cookies were mounds, next time I will flaten with a glass or fork tines. I was worried about using the cumin, but with all the other spices it blended in beautifully. Thanks for another way to use my soy milk. I really enjoyed this cookie and it was very easy to make.
Good low fat cookie recipe. The spices are really unique for cookies! I used just a few dashes of salt as a personal preference. I'm thinking of trying these spices in other cookie recipes too (margarine cookie recipes... for those times when low fat doesn't quite satisfy the cookie craving!)