This just arrived in my inbox from from Cooking Light magazine. It looks like quite a tasty morsel and I'm planning to include them on my holiday tray.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup regular oats
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well.
- Since you want a scant measureure of the flour, lightly spoon flour the into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (flour through pepper) in a medium bowl.Stir in flour mixture and oats.
- Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes or until crisp. Cool on pan 2 to 3 minutes or until firm. Move cookies to wire racks and allow to cool completely.