Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made these nuts when I bought some unsalted/unroasted shelled pistachios and peanuts which I didn't use for cooking. My family loved them for snacking while watching tv. Recipe adapted from The Turtle Bay Cookbook
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs unsalted nuts (I used shelled not-roasted pistachios and peanuts)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more for spicier nuts)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt (or other coarse salt)
- In a large skillet melt butter with olive oil over medium heat.
- Add nuts to melted butter and cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Add red peppper flakes and salt to nuts and continue cooking, stirring frequently for five minutes longer, being careful that nuts don't burn.
- Drain nuts on paper towels and let cool before serving or storing in an airtight container.
These nuts were easy and quick to make and turned out fabulous! Loved the heat from the chili pepper with the roasted flavour from the nuts! Mmm!
I added some garlic and onion powder to part of the mix and that was yummy, too.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, ellie!
Made and reviewed for Adopt a Veggie Tag January 2010.
These are fabulous and so easy to make. I used the low end quantity of red pepper flakes and they are still pretty spicy. Perfect for people who love the hot stuff! Thanks for sharing...these would make a great gift.