Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 26 mins
Although this recipe has been modified slightly, the original was found on the online at recipeisland.com.
FOR THE NUTMEG SYRUP
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rum flavoring
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup nutmeg syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- FOR THE NUTMEG SYRUP: In a saucepan, combine the 1 cup of water along with the sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg. Mix thoroughly & bring to a boil, then reduce heat & cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small container combine cornstarch & water & mix thoroughly, before stirring it into the syrupy mixture, & blending well.
- Simmer the syrup for another 5 minutes or so until thickened somewhat.
- Remove from heat & stir in the rum flavoring, then set aside.
- FOR THE CHICKEN: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken thighs in a 13"x9" baking dish
- In a small container combine garlic, onion, salt & pepper, mixing well, then spread this mixture over the chicken thighs.
- Bake thighs for 15 minutes, then remove from oven.
- While chicken is baking, in a bowl, combine soy sauce, pepper sauce, Nutmeg Syrup & ground ginger, mixing well.
- After the 15 minutes of baking, remove chicken from the oven & turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F.
- Baste the thighs with the Nutmeg Syrup mixture & return them to the oven to bake for at least 60 minutes, basting frequently.
- Serve hot with additional syrup mixture, if desired.
This was simply delicious, i loved it and will make it again
Wonderful recipe! I used boneless skinless thighs, so I had a shorter cooking time. Otherwise I made as posted and the smells and flavor were absolutely wonderful. This is a keeper recipe for me....thanks for posting a winner!
Wow, this chicken was wonderful! I prefer white meat chicken to dark. So I used two chicken breasts instead of legs. Although the list of ingredients seems long, this came together quickly. I loved the combination of spices and the sweet/spicy result after cooking! Thanks for sharing! Made for Ali Baba Babes for ZWT5.