Recipe by Lorelle in Australia
These are terrific for a snack, picnics or as part of a main meal. I found the recipe in the gardening magazine "Burke's back yard". Can be eaten hot or cold.
- 125 g vermicelli rice noodles
- 500 g firm white boneless fish fillets
- 1⁄4 cup cornflour
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 egg
- 3 spring onions or 3 scallions
- 1⁄2 cup coriander or 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- vegetable oil, to fry
- 1⁄2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the noodles into a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the fish into a food processor and process until well chopped. Add the cornflour, curry paste and egg and process until smooth.
- Drain the noodles, return to the bowl and use scissors to cut into shorter lengths. Add the fish mixture, spring onions and coriander, and mix until evenly combined.
- Use damp hands to shape quarter-cupfuls of the misture into patties about 8cm round. Heat about 5mm of oil in a large, heavy based frying pan and cook the fish cakes in batches for 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel.
- To make a dipping sauce, place the sweet chilli sauce, lime juice and fish sauce into a screwtop jar. Shake until combined. If going on a picnic, leave in the jar to transport and shake again before serving.