Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great soup to warm you up. Adjust spiciness to your liking. Use regular Velveeta instead of Mexican-style (or half of each type) if you don't like that much heat.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup spicy vegetable juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons cilantro leaves
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces Velveeta Mexican cheese, cubed (called Velveeta Pepperjack)
- crushed tortilla chips, for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot, brown and crumble the ground beef with the onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Drain any excess fat and return to the pot.
- Add the chicken broth and spicy V-8 and bring to a soft boil.
- Stir in the refried beans, undrained diced tomatoes, black beans, cilantro, green chilies, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir until the refried beans are well incorporated.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cubed Mexican Velveeta (or regular Velveeta or some of each).
- Allow to melt and heat through before serving.
- Serve with optional crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
Very tasty soup! The texture of the beans was a little weird to may so I may reduce by a bit next time but overall this was very good. DH especially really enjoyed it. Thanks!