Recipe by ForeverMama
A favorite tasty, tasty Melissa d'Arabian dish. Taken from the show "The Best Thing I Ever Made" and the names says it all!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon harissa (refer to cook's note below)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- French bread, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the onions in the butter over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chorizo to the onions and cook until the sausage loses its raw color, about 5 minutes. Add the harissa and red pepper flakes, and then turn up the heat to high.
- Once fragrant, deglaze the pan with the wine, allowing to bubble for a minute. Lower the heat to medium, add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the prepped mussels and cover to steam until the mussels open, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cream and stir. Serve immediately with plenty of sliced French bread for dipping.
- Cook's Note: If harissa cannot be found, substitute 1 tablespoon of tomato paste plus 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.