1/1 Photo of spicy mussels in white wine sauce
this recipe is from an old gourmet magazine. i made it last night and just loved it, quick, easy and the heat can be adjusted to taste. serve this with crusty french bread to get all the broth. this can be an appetizer for 6, but i can almost eat it all myself!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 slices lemons, 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed,debearded
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion, garlic, fennel seeds, crushed red pepper and salt; sauté until onion is light brown, about 4 minutes.
- 3Add wine, lemon slices and 1/4 cup parsley; bring to boil.
- 4Add mussels.
- 5Cover pot and cook until mussel shells open, stirring once to rearrange mussels, about 6 minutes; discard any mussels that do not open.
- 6Using slotted spoon, transfer mussels to large shallow bowl.
- 7Boil broth in pot until reduced to 1 cup, about 3 minutes; season to taste with pepper.
- 8Pour broth over mussels.
- 9Sprinkle tomatoes and remaining parsley over.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for spicy mussels in white wine sauce
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 945.2
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 158.7 mg
- Sodium 2224.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 69.3 g