Recipe by Engrossed
This is from Cooking Light. I love it but it is a bit spicy so to make it mild decrease the pepper flakes, use mild curry powder and use a mild chutney. Great over rice and with pita bread. If you make it spicy, it's wonderful with cucumber raita to cool it off!
Top Review by Ira Weiss
I've never tried non-vegetarian Mulligatawny soup before. Every version I've tried in restaurants is vegetarian, some with lentils, most without. This was very good. I had some leftover soup chicken from making stock from bones. Also used a quart of that stock instead of canned. Instead of tomato paste I used 3 medium tomatoes that were on their way out. Last change was to use half the amount of mango chutney because it would have been a little too strong. The advantage of using my own stock is I contolled the salt content completely. Bear in mind this is a soup, the photo shows it served over rice. You can always add more broth to ensure it's not quite so thick. My addition of the tomatoes and 4 ounces additional stock made the difference. As a soup, serve with naan or a couple of samosas and coconut chutney!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1 cup gala apples, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup mango chutney
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop chicken into small cubes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small pan. Add chicken and cook through. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a medium pot. Add apple, onion, carrots, celery and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, curry powder, ginger, pepper flakes and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, chutney and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes until it's heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro to serve.