Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From The Blog : The Midnight Feast.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 350 g lamb neck fillets, trimmed of unnecessary fat and diced into inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika (Pimenton de la Vera)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 large red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into inch cubes
- 2 fat, garlic cloves squished
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 240 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 240 g chickpeas, washed and drained
- lemon juice
- couscous, to serve with the stew
- fresh coriander, chopped
- 1.In a large pan, heat the oil until hot. Add the trimmed and cubed lamb, and fry until browned all over.
- 2.Add in the spices (Cumin, Coriander, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cayenne, Smoked Paprika and Chili Flakes) and stir the lamb so that the pieces are fully coated. Continue to fry for 2 minutes.
- 3.Add in the squished garlic cloves, onions and carrots, turn the heat down and cook for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- 4.Add in the chicken stock, tomato puree and the tin of chopped tomatoes, stir and turn the heat down low.
- 5.Cook for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more stock or water if the stew becomes too dry.
- 6.About 20 minutes before you want to serve, add in a can of drained chickpeas.
- 7.Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- 8.Scatter with chopped fresh coriander and serve with a mound of fluffy couscous.