Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe has been submitted for play in ZWT9 – Morocco. This recipe is from cookbook: Fight Back with Food. This is a nice thick, creamy, spiced carrot soup. The cilantro garnish provides a fresh, clean finish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lb carrot, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons rice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat, add the onions and garlic, cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes, until onions are golden in color.
- Stir in the carrots, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and paprika, cook for 1 minute. Add in the corrot juice, tomato paste, rice, salt, pepper and 2 cups of water, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Jolly nice soup. Not very spicy as such, but has a nice flavour. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap Nov 2013.