Recipe by tomsawyer
Another salad by Rachel Ray. You can substitute your favorite cheese for jarlsberg and if you want you can substitute your favorite bread for the peasant/country loaf.
Top Review by TreeSquirrel
* Not spicy
* I used cheese on hand, blue cheese, and found this to be very overpowering.
* I'd make this again, with a milder cheese and some different spices to kick up the taste!
* Easy to throw together
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- country bread, torn into about 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery & leaves, sliced
- 1 cup canned chick-peas, drained
- 4 ounces jarlsberg cheese, cut into about 1/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup olive oil, the garlic, and the cumin.
- Add the bread and toss.
- Scatter the bread onto a baking sheet and bake, tossing occasionally, if necessary, until toasted.
- In the same bowl, mix the celery, chickpeas, jarlsberg, almonds, vinegar, and the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Add the bread and toss. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper if you want.
- Tip: something I haven't tried is toasting the bread in the toaster first and then dipping.