Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This may be made in a skillet or a sandwich press, it will also work well on a George Foreman contact grill --- bottled roasted red peppers, drained may be used in place of the hot pepper rings.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 8 slices provolone cheese (thin slices )
- 4 ounces sliced smoked turkey or 4 ounces ham
- 1⁄2 cup pickled hot pepper rings or 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, drained and cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon butter (more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow dish whisk the eggs with Dijon mustard, basil, salt and pepper.
- Place 4 slices of bread on a flat work surface, then place 1 slice of cheese on top of each slice of bread.
- Top evenly with smoked turkey slices or ham, then remaining cheese slices.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture turning to coat soaking the bread well.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, then brush with a thin layer of butter.
- Cook the sandwiches in batches turning once for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned and the cheese is melted (brushing the pan with more butter between batches).