This may be made in a skillet or a sandwich press, it will also work well on a George Foreman contact grill --- bottled roasted red peppers, drained may be used in place of the hot pepper rings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 8 slices provolone cheese (thin slices )
- 4 ounces sliced smoked turkey or 4 ounces ham
- 1/2 cup pickled hot pepper rings or 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, drained and cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon butter (more if needed)
- 1In a shallow dish whisk the eggs with Dijon mustard, basil, salt and pepper.
- 2Place 4 slices of bread on a flat work surface, then place 1 slice of cheese on top of each slice of bread.
- 3Top evenly with smoked turkey slices or ham, then remaining cheese slices.
- 4Top with remaining bread slices.
- 5Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture turning to coat soaking the bread well.
- 6Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, then brush with a thin layer of butter.
- 7Cook the sandwiches in batches turning once for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned and the cheese is melted (brushing the pan with more butter between batches).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Monte Cristo Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.6
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 278.2 mg
- Sodium 1208.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 33.3 g