Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
Wonderful variation on a pecan pie from Joyce White, author of "Soul Food". I made this for Thanksgiving this year along with a regular pecan pie and this one was gone wayyyyy before the "normal" pie!
- 1 partially baked pie crust
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup light molasses
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg or 1 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat until it browns, giving off a nutty aroma, and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar to the butter and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Stir in the molasses, lemon juice, nutmeg, cloves, and vanilla and blend well.
- Add the heavy cream or milk and beat until smooth.
- Pour filling into prepared pie shell and spread pecans on top.
- Place in middle rack of preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until pie is golden brown and puffed, and an inserted knife comes out clean.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK--IT WILL BECOME GUMMY!
- Cool on wire rack until set and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.