Recipe by *PENNY*
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis.
Top Review by Outta Here
Holy cow! 10 STARS in my book! This qualifies in the "Death By Chocolate" category. Rich, thick, creamy, and with a subtle "burn" at the back of the throat. I cut recipe down to 2 servings and used Splenda. I also cheated on the whip cream and used sugar-free Cool Whip with the cocoa powder mixed in (skipped the powdered sugar) Wasn't as "pretty" as whipped cream but tasted great :) Will be making this again! Made for Winter 2010 Comfort Cafe game.
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 4 small dried red chilies
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 3 cups espresso
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the milk, chilies and cinnamon sticks in a heavy large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat. Remove from heat, cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Whisk in the espresso, sugar and 1 cup of the cocoa powder.
- Bring the hot chocolate to a simmer, whisking often.
- Discard the chilies and cinnamon sticks.
- Meanwhile, whisk the powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a large bowl to blend.
- Add the cream and whisk until the mixture is thick.
- Ladle the hot chocolate into 8 mugs. Spoon the whipped cream on top and serve immediately.