Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Adapted from epicurious. Great as a snack or in gift-jars too. Cook time is approx 1 hr 20 mins per batch (i usually need to bake them in four batches, as my oven is pathetically small).
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups pecans (halves)
- 2 cups walnuts (halves and pieces)
- 2 cups cashews
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Stir the first seven ingredients in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until frothy.
- Whisk in the spice mixture.
- Add the nuts and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle sugar over and toss to coat completely.
- Arrange nuts on parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake at 225F until nuts are toasted and coating is dry, for about 1 hour 20 mins (Stir every 20 mins).
- Sprinkle nuts with salt to taste, if desired.
- Store airtight at room temp for up to a week.
- NOTE: I've used peanuts instead of cashews with good results.
- And pistachios taste really yummy too.