Recipe by Salvador Vilchis
Indian Food - Side Dish, comforting Panchrattani Dal From 1,000 Indian Recipes
- 1⁄4 cup Urad Dal, black split beans
- 1⁄4 cup mung beans, green
- 1⁄4 cup green lentil
- 1⁄4 cup pigeon peas, split
- 1⁄4 cup dried split yellow peas, split yellow chick peas
- 1 piece onion, small finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, fresh peeled & minced
- 2 garlic cloves, fresh & minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon asafoetida powder, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 4 -5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 -3 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in med saucepan over medium-high heat, add dals and onion, stir constantly over medium-low heat until well roasted and fragrant, 5 minutes Mix in ginger and garlic, then the coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, asafoetida and salt and stir about 30 secs.
- Transfer to a pressure cooker, add 4 cups water. Secure the lid and heat over high heat until regulator shows high pressure, the cook 1 min more. Remove from heat and allow pot to de-pressurize on its own, 12 - 15 minutes. Open lid and check if dal is very soft and creamy; if not, add 1 cup water and cover, bring to pressure and cook for another 30 seconds, or cover and boil until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer over medium-low heat, about 10 minutes, then remove to a serving dish, cover and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the green chilies peppers, about 30 secs. Add cumin seeds; which should sizzle upon contact with hot oil. Remove from heat, add paprika and add the tarka to the cooked dal. Swirl gently to mix, with parts of it visible as garnish and serve.