Recipe by Sassy Cassie
This is a recipe that I got from my mother. I think that she got it from a mag. or newspaper some time ago. This is a good winter warm up soup! It has a little spice, not too much though. Enjoy!! A few step savers: You can use frozen diced onion and green peppers. Use bouillon cubes and water for beef stock. Use crushed garlic in a jar.
Top Review by irishjuanita
This is the greatest minestrone soup. I have made it 2 times and it is wonderful. So full of flavor and a little kick with the hot Italian sausage. This soup will be part of our diets for years to come.
Love it. Easy to make and very filling.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large potato
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 zucchini or 1 another potato
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 cup ditanlini macaroni or 1 cup other small macaroni noodles
- 1⁄2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut sausage into pieces.
- Chop onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Dice potato and bell pepper.
- Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and then slice.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook sausage until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, saving 1 tbs fat.
- Cook onion, garlic, potato and bell pepper in fat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sausage, tomatoes with their liquid, herbs, spices, pepper flakes, salt & pepper to taste and stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in kidney beans with their liquid, zucchini and pasta and simmer until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper if needed.
- Pass cheese with the soup and let guests help themselves.