1 hr 15 mins
Sassy Cassie's Note:
This is a recipe that I got from my mother. I think that she got it from a mag. or newspaper some time ago. This is a good winter warm up soup! It has a little spice, not too much though. Enjoy!! A few step savers: You can use frozen diced onion and green peppers. Use bouillon cubes and water for beef stock. Use crushed garlic in a jar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large potato
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 zucchini or 1 another potato
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 cup ditanlini macaroni or 1 cup other small macaroni noodles
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1Cut sausage into pieces.
- 2Chop onion.
- 3Mince garlic.
- 4Dice potato and bell pepper.
- 5Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and then slice.
- 6Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- 7Cook sausage until browned, about 10 minutes.
- 8Drain on paper towels, saving 1 tbs fat.
- 9Cook onion, garlic, potato and bell pepper in fat and cook for 5 minutes.
- 10Add sausage, tomatoes with their liquid, herbs, spices, pepper flakes, salt & pepper to taste and stock.
- 11Bring to a boil.
- 12Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 13Stir in kidney beans with their liquid, zucchini and pasta and simmer until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 14Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper if needed.
- 15Pass cheese with the soup and let guests help themselves.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Minestrone With Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.6
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 50.4 mg
- Sodium 2125.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 29.1 g