Recipe by abraham r.
this recipe comes from the ultamate book of diabetic cooking.
Top Review by Paris D
This recipe does not work as written. It does not specify what liquid to use, how much, or when to incorporate it. It also does not indicate when to add the millet. We added the cooked millet to the dry ingredients.
We used 1 cup of warm water and a lightly beaten egg for liquid and added it after mixing the millet into the dry ingredients. I recommend doubling the amount of red pepper flakes, as they are barely discernible at the specified amount.
The bread is VERY dense and very heavy, but tasty.
- 1⁄2 cup millet
- 5 1⁄2 cups strong unbleached plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- bring 1 cup water to the boil add the millet cover & simmer gently for 20 minutes until the grains are soft & the water is absorbed.remove from the heat & leave to cool until just warm.
- mix together the flour,salt,sugar,chilli flakes if using & yeast in a large bowl.
- add water & mix well,turn out the dough onto a floured work surface & knead for 10 minutes.if the dough seems a little dry,knead well until the dough becomes smooth & elastic.
- place the dough in a oiled bowl & cover with oiled clear film or a dish towel.leave to rise for 1 hour until doubled in bulk.
- meanwhile,melt the butter in a heavy frying pan, add the onion & fry for 10 minutes until softened stirring occasionally. add the cumin seeds & the turmeric,& fry for 5-8 minutes,stirring constantly until the cumin seed begin to pop,set the pan aside.
- knock back the dough by pressing down with your knuckles to deflate the dough,then shape into a round. place the onion mixture in the middle of the dough & bring the sides over the filling to make a parcel,then seal well.
- place the dough on a oiled baking sheet,seem side down,cover with oiled clear film & leave in a warm place for 45 minutes until doubled in bulk.
- preheat the oven to 220 degrees celcius.
- bake the bread for 30 minutes until golden.it should sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- leave to cool on a wire rack.