1 hr 15 mins
abe ray's Note:
this recipe comes from the ultamate book of diabetic cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1bring 1 cup water to the boil add the millet cover & simmer gently for 20 minutes until the grains are soft & the water is absorbed.remove from the heat & leave to cool until just warm.
- 2mix together the flour,salt,sugar,chilli flakes if using & yeast in a large bowl.
- 3add water & mix well,turn out the dough onto a floured work surface & knead for 10 minutes.if the dough seems a little dry,knead well until the dough becomes smooth & elastic.
- 4place the dough in a oiled bowl & cover with oiled clear film or a dish towel.leave to rise for 1 hour until doubled in bulk.
- 5meanwhile,melt the butter in a heavy frying pan, add the onion & fry for 10 minutes until softened stirring occasionally. add the cumin seeds & the turmeric,& fry for 5-8 minutes,stirring constantly until the cumin seed begin to pop,set the pan aside.
- 6knock back the dough by pressing down with your knuckles to deflate the dough,then shape into a round. place the onion mixture in the middle of the dough & bring the sides over the filling to make a parcel,then seal well.
- 7place the dough on a oiled baking sheet,seem side down,cover with oiled clear film & leave in a warm place for 45 minutes until doubled in bulk.
- 8preheat the oven to 220 degrees celcius.
- 9bake the bread for 30 minutes until golden.it should sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- 10leave to cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Millet Bread
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 13
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.4
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 366.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 7.2 g