1/3 Photos of Spicy Midnight Soup
My best friend made this the other day and I just had to have the recipe. It's filling and soooo good! The recipe can easily be halved. This recipe comes from a German cookbook and a German packet of leek soup is enough for 3 cups of water. As far as I can tell from looking on the internet that's the same for Knorr leek soup in the US. If I am wrong please use enough of the soup mix to make 9 cups. If you add the optional ingredients you might want to reduce the amount of whole kernel corn, otherwise the soup becomes really thick. Where I live you can buy cans of whole kernel corn that have some kidney beans added, those work really well. Can easily be prepared ahead and reheated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb turkey breast or chicken breast fillets, chopped into bite sized chunks or red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 24 ounces whole kernel corn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 8 cups water
- 3 (1 7/8 ounce) packages leek soup mix
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cream
- chili powder, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 small leek, finely sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, with (optional) or 1 (8 ounce) can without some of the juice (optional)
- 1Heat the butter in a large stock pot and fry the turkey or chicken chunks until very nearly done.
- 2Add the curry powder and fry for a further couple of minutes, if you are using leek you can add it at this stage.
- 3Add the water, bring to the boil, add dry soup mix and stir until disolved (check that your soup mix says to mix into boiling water, some of them need to be mixed into cold or warm water).
- 4Add all other ingredients, apart from the cream and the spices, and simmer for 5-10 minutes until everything is heated through.
- 5Add the cream and season to taste (quite spicy) with chili powder and cayenne.
- 6Serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Midnight Soup
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.1
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 83.8 mg
- Sodium 1401.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
leek soup mix