Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe for a basic middle eastern stir fry, which uses alot of tomatoes as its base. This usually is served with a side of rice or middle eastern bread for dipping. I usually make this dish as a dinner, but sometimes even as a one of my breakfast dishes. This dish is common throught the middle east, but referred to differently such as Alayeh, Ghalabah e.t.c. and recipe varies. You can add diced tender beef or lamb, carots, green peppers e.t.c. This is how we like it in our house.
- 473.18 ml diced tomatoes
- 177.44 ml chopped onion
- 29.58-44.37 ml hot pepper (serrano preferrably, may add more or less to suite taste)
- 29.58 ml of minced garlic
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 1 maggi chicken bouillon cube
- 2.46 ml cinnamon (optional)
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil (or less)
- Place oil in a nonstick frying pan under high heat. Once the oil is very hot add the onions in.Stir the onions and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir. Cover and let cook for about 5 minutes. Stir again, make sure you stir frequently to avoid sticking. Stir fry with be thick. If you feel it is too thick, add just a tiny bit of water. I usually dont have to, and by adding the water, it dilutes the flavor a bit.Place on medium heat.Let cook until the tomatoes have cooked down. Remove from heat. Enjoy!
Simple with lots of possibilities. I made ours vegitarian while waiting on an organic meat shipment. I used organic canned pinto beans including their liquid, organic canned tomatoes that were almost a puree, organic onion, cayenne pepper powder in place of the hot pepper, to taste, organic garlic, no Maggi cube because of the ingredients, less home-made organic ghee instead of GMO oil and no cinnamon. We ate it with some organic kifer on top. Made for Welcome To Palestine!
The dish is decent. I made it with chicken, red and green peppers, and carrots. Next time I think i will use a different tomato product for sauce and fresh tomatoes. Also I found such a large amount of oil to be unnecessary.
This dish is so delicious! My husband enjoyed it so much that he wants me to make it again this week! Another thing, it is so easy to make!!! Thank you so much!