Recipe by Cookin'withGas
Another easy and tasty, one dish meal...Serve with a tossed salad and you're set!
- 1 lb ground turkey breast (Shady Brook Farms preferred) or 1 lb ground chicken breast (Shady Brook Farms preferred)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni, uncooked (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup hot water (NOT boiling)
- 1 (16 ounce) container light sour cream (Cabot brand)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, over medium heat, cook together, the ground turkey, onion and half of the green pepper for 10 minutes in the oil, stirring occasionally, or until the meat is completely cooked.
- Drain the LIQUID from the canned tomatoes INTO this meat mixture; then chop the tomatoes and set aside.
- Add the meat mixture to the macaroni along with the sugar, chili powder, salt and the water.
- Heat to boiling then immediately reduce to low; cover and simmer 25-30 min, stirring occasionally.
- Then stir in sour cream; sprinkle the remaining green pepper and all the chopped tomatoes over the mixture and only heat through.
- Variation: Swap out the macaroni for any other favorite small pasta, such as rotini or penne rigati.