Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband is infamous for combining ingredients that have never before been combined. This is the result of tonight's hodgepodge, and man was it good! We make this gluten free by using a GF broth. You can sub water if you can't find a GF broth.
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups risotto rice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cup diced ham
- 3 -4 tablespoons jalapeno peppers
- 3 -4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- salt and pepper
- sour cream (a dollop for each serving)
- Heat stock in microwave or on stovetop.
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan.
- Add onions and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the risotto rice and stir, cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, jalapeno and ham, and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock little by little (about a half a cup at a time) until it is absorbed. Stir constantly.
- After about 20-25 minutes, the rice should be tender and creamy.
- Add the cumin and coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese.
- Add a dollop of sour cream to each serving, and enjoy!