This is one of my favorite recipes. Whenever I cook anything Mexican, I prepare this as a side dish. I have been known to eat it right out of the pan, before it is even finished cooking.
- Slice one of the onions in very thin slices. Finely chop the other onion.
- Mash the garlic with the salt to make a paste.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a medium sauce pan. Add chopped onions and garlic paste. Cook and stir until onions are translucent.
- Puree the two cans of Rotel Mexican Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro.
- Add pureed Rotel, chicken broth, chili powder and cumin. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in instant rice and sliced onions.
- Cover and let stand over very low heat 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.