Cooky Doe's Note:
A spicy dish that you'd never know was a "diet" dish unless something was said! Found in the South Beach Diet Cookbook it is a simple one-dish meal that 's very easy to prepare. Whether on the Beach diet or not you can make any modifications you want and it will still turn out great. It's spicy on it's own with just cumin so the jalapeño is optional. And make sure you only use fresh good quality salsa because that will have a major impact on the flavor and texture of your dish. If you're eating carbs I suggest a crusty baguette to soak up some of the soup to make it even more filling than it already is. This is also great for people who need recipes for small families or couples. You're guaranteed leftovers no matter how big of an eater you have on your hands.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups mild refrigerated fresh salsa
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cilantro (optional)
- 1Cut your chicken breasts into small strips about 2 inches long.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds more.
- 4Add broth, increase heat to high, and bring to a rapid simmer. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir the pan making sure to get all the bits of onion, jalapeño and cumin are well mixed into the soup and not stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- 5Stir in salsa (don't drain), bring back to simmer, season with salt and pepper to taste and top with cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup (South Beach Style!)
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.6
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 980.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 47.7 g