Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A spicy dish that you'd never know was a "diet" dish unless something was said! Found in the South Beach Diet Cookbook it is a simple one-dish meal that 's very easy to prepare. Whether on the Beach diet or not you can make any modifications you want and it will still turn out great. It's spicy on it's own with just cumin so the jalapeño is optional. And make sure you only use fresh good quality salsa because that will have a major impact on the flavor and texture of your dish. If you're eating carbs I suggest a crusty baguette to soak up some of the soup to make it even more filling than it already is. This is also great for people who need recipes for small families or couples. You're guaranteed leftovers no matter how big of an eater you have on your hands.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups mild refrigerated fresh salsa
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cilantro (optional)
- Cut your chicken breasts into small strips about 2 inches long.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds more.
- Add broth, increase heat to high, and bring to a rapid simmer. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir the pan making sure to get all the bits of onion, jalapeño and cumin are well mixed into the soup and not stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in salsa (don't drain), bring back to simmer, season with salt and pepper to taste and top with cilantro if desired.
I make this soup once a week during the colder months. It's very flavorful and easy to make. You can change up the flavor a little bit by changing what salsa you add.
I made this for my family in only 1/2 hour, and by the end of the night IT WAS GONE.
Very easy to make and very tasty.