Serve this as a main dish or, in smaller servings, as a side dish.
Make and share this Spicy Mexican Cheesy Rice Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 946.36 ml cooked rice
- 118.29 ml reduced-fat cheddar cheese or 118.29 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 113.39 g green chilies, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 56.69 g red peppers, chopped
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 44.37 ml recaito (cilantro-based seasoning)
- 2.46 ml cumin
- chili powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml pepper (or more, to taste)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked rice with cheese, chilies, and green onions.
- Mix together.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, Recaito, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Add to rice mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Spray an oven-proof casserole dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Spread rice mixture in casserole bake uncovered for approximately 3040 minutes until cheese melts.
- Top with additional cheese, if desired.
Really excellent! I cooked the rice the night before and refrigerated it. I then added the rest of the ingredients the next morning and chilled. All it took was heating (I put extra cheese on top) and it made a great side dish for a carne asada meal. Great for a large crowd!
We loved this casserole. To make it more of a meal, I added a can of rinsed and drained black beans. I imagine to get even more protein in there you could add some crumbled tempeh. We'll try it that way next time!
Fantastic meal! Brings a true flavour of Mexican food to the table!