Recipe by Annacia
Who says sandwiches are for the second night of meatloaf? You'll want to serve this clove-spiced meatloaf warm from the oven between thick slices of bread.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1-1/3 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (or 12 ounces lean ground beef and 12 ounces ground lean pork)
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 12 slices good quality bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, onion, tomatoes, raisins, salt, cloves, and pepper.
- Add meat; mix well.
- Lightly pat meat mixture into 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until internal temperature registers 160°F.
- Spoon off fat.
- In bowl combine ketchup and brown sugar; spread over meat.
- Bake 5 minutes more.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Using two spatulas, lift meatloaf from pan to cutting board.
- Cut into 12 slices.
- Stir together mayonnaise and horseradish. Spread mayonnaise mixture on bread.
- Top bread with 2 meatloaf slices.