Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a really tasty meatloaf - especially if you like things a little spicy. It came from my mother-in-law, we have it often. You need to cook it in a oversized tin, so you have room for the sauce.
- 1 onion
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt (to taste, depends how salty the sausage meat is)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 500 g minced beef
- 500 g sausage meat
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Chop onion finely.
- In a bowl, combine onion, minced beef, sausage meat, breadcrumbs, curry powder, egg, salt and pepper.
- Mix well, then mix in milk and water.
- Put into a lightly greased loaf tin and bake at 180C for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime make the sauce - place all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After the loaf has cooked for an hour, remove it from the oven and drain off the fat.
- Pour the sauce over and cook for a further 30 minutes, basting frequently.
I'd been looking for a more pork based meatloaf for a while and when I came across this I thought it was a good chance to sub the beef for pork. It didn't disappoint. Made it sans curry powder and with our favourite meatloaf sauce rather than the one listed. It was a nice recipe and we ate it all up - very flavourful and a nice change from beef mince (which I'm personally not that fond of). We don't have meatloaf very often but this is the recipe I'd come back to.