Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Vintage Southern Living. I used to make this a lot when I was a beginner cook. A long-standing family favorite.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- hot cooked rice or hot cooked noodles
- Brown sausage in a large pot; remove and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Shape ground beef into 60 (3/4 inch) balls.
- Saute meatballs in reserved drippings until browned, stirring gently.
- Add in cooked sausage, bacon, jalapeno peppers, and seasonings.
- Add in water and tomato paste, stirring gently.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kidney beans; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice or noodles.