Recipe by realbirdlady
Plantains are a staple in most of Africa. This Kenyan recipe also shows a south Asian influence. From "The Africa Cookbook".
- 8 plantains (green or only slightly ripe)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, fresh, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bird chile, minced
- 2 cups stock (beef or vegetable)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the plantains and slice in 1-inch pieces.
- Place them in a bowl with the lemon juice and enough lukewarm water to cover.
- In a large skillet, heat the ghee.
- Fry onions, cilantro, and chile until onion is translucent.
- Drain the plantain pieces. Add to the skillet with the stock.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, until the plantains are done.