Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
From The New Book of Middle Eastern Food, posted for ZWT III for North Africa and the Middle East. The original recipe does not call for any sweetener, but I felt it needed just a touch of brown sugar and a hint of heat.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raisins, soaked in water for 15 min
Directions See How It's Made
- peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into pieces.
- Boil in salted for about 15-20 minutes, until soft.
- Drain and mash with a fork.
- Add butter, salt and pepper, ginger and cinnamon, (and cayenne and/or brown sugar if desired) and beat well.
- Add the drained raisins.