Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This marinade gives tofu a great flavor when broiling or grilling.
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 3⁄4 cup vegetarian worcestershire sauce (without anchovies)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Press as much water as possible out of the tofu. Slice the tofu crosswise into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces or about 8 pieces.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in an 8 inch square baking dish and stir well.
- Place the tofu slices in the marinade. If the liquid does not completely cover the tofu, turn the pieces carefully at least once to make sure it is thoroughly coated.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- TO GRILL: Remove the tofu from the marinade and cook on a medium-hot grill, basting occasionally with the marinade. The tofu is done when it is golden brown, about 6-8 minutes per side. Rotate the tofu 45 degrees every 3 minutes to create crosshatch grill marks.
- TO BROIL: Remove the tofu from the marinade and place in a lightly oiled dish. Broil until the top is golden, about 5 to 7 minutes per side.