David J Rust's Note:
This mildly spiced marinara is what I made in the fall after the summer tomatoes were gone but I still had plenty of basil, garlic, and chili peppers to play with. I made it to go with a hearty, whole-wheat pasta I'd been given as a gift and its rich thickness really went well with the sturdy noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 1/2 ounces yellow sweet onions, finely diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 ounce sweet basil, chiffonade (fresh Italian, about 12 leaves)
- 1 1/8 ounces garlic, minced (about 3 large cloves)
- 1 small red chili pepper (fresh, any variety, choose your spice level to meet your own tolerances)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and add the finely diced onion and black pepper. Saute until the onions start to brown. This will take about 5-8 minutes, depending on your stovetop's heat.
- 2Lower the heat to medium (about half what it was while browning the onions) and add the basil, minced garlic, chili pepper, and salt. Saute for about 4-5 minutes until the garlic starts to brown, just a bit, around the edges.
- 3Add the tomato, stir everything together, lower the heat to medium-low, and cover the skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Covered, simmer the tomatoes for 15 minutes, stirring once, after 7-8 minutes, to keep from sticking.
- 4Remove the lid and stir the tomatoes. Simmer and stir occasionally (to prevent scorching), uncovered, until the watery liquids are evaporated or absorbed. This will take about another15 minutes.
- 5Remove from the heat and either serve right away with pasta or put the sauce in your blender to create a smooth puree.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Marinara
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.2
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 557.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g