Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Triple sec, tequila, chilie's,shrimp & cumin... This salad is truly a margarita centerpiece. It comes from my "Best of Arizona Recipes", the Southwest Savor.
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 jalapenos (seeded & finely diced)
- 1⁄3 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons triple sec (or Grand Marnier)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled,deveined and slit open)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tomatoes (cored,seeded & diced)
- 1 small yellow pepper (cored,seeded and diced)
- 6 cups romaine lettuce (torn)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1 cup corn chips (optional)
- Combine cilantro,garlic,chile,tequila,triple sec, lime juice and cumin in a non-reactive bowl; add shrimp, turn to coat and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Drain shrimp and reserve marinade.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring reserved marinade to a boil,reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced by half.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, cool, whisk in olive oil & season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Prepare barbecue grill, (spray with non-stick) grill shrimp until just pink; about 1 minunte per side, keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato,bell pepper and lettuce, toss with leftover/cooked marinade/dressing and divide among 4 large plates.
- Top the salad with grilled shrimp and top with corn chips and avocado slices.
Great idea!! The potent tequila, lime and jalapeno combo may not be for everyone, or could be balanced with the addition of something sweet. We questioned the quick grill time but yes, it's correct - marinating in fresh lime juice partially "cooks" the shrimp.
Great salad with great taste. We did cut back on the olive oil a tad, and used the 1 cup of corn chips. Made for a nice side to dinner. Made for New Zaar Tag.